- A legal requirement for anyone driving for financial gain
- CPC training locations nationwide
- Call us today FREE on 0800 970 8447 or fill in the Quote form
Call FREE on 0800 970 8447Mon - Thur: 9am - 7pm & Fri: 9am - 5:30pm
What is the Driver CPC?
The Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) is EU legislation introduced to improve the standards of professional HGV and LGV drivers across Europe.
As the requirements are quite complex Easy As HGV has a team of CPC experts ready to answer your CPC questions, and advise you how CPC legislation affects your personal circumstances.
As a general guide:
- If you’re new to professional HGV / LGV driving you must get the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) Initial Qualification.
- When you qualify you will be issued with a Driver Qualification Card (DQC) which you must keep with you when you are driving professionally.
- The Driver CPC Initial Qualification must be completed if you are under 21 years of age (whatever reason you are driving for).
- It must also be taken if you passed your car test after January 1997 and do not have a 7.5 tonne (Category C1) entitlement on your Driving Licence.
- If you passed your vocational licence before 10th September 2009 (C1, C1+E, C or C+E) and are over 21 you have “acquired rights” and do not need to take the Driver CPC Initial Qualification because of your experience. BUT you still need to complete 35 hours of Driver CPC periodic training every 5 years.
In effect, CPC affects anyone who is driving or intends to drive a HGV or LGV vehicle for financial gain. But if you’re only driving for personal use (e.g. driving a horsebox or hiring a vehicle to move personal possessions) and are over 21 – the legislation does not affect you.
Some HGV / LGV drivers will need to take the Driver CPC Initial Qualification as a first step but ALL drivers need to comply with the Driver CPC periodic training requirements.
The Driver CPC Initial Qualification consists of two parts: (i) a Theory Test and (ii) a Practical Test. It can also be obtained as part of a combined course when you are taking your HGV Licence course.
NB: There are time limits for completing certain aspects of CPC Training so if you’re in any doubt please call our experts.
To obtain prices for our Driver CPC Initial Qualification Training packages, or if you have any questions, please call us on 0800 970 8447.
Module 2 – The Case Study Theory Test
The Theory Test is covered under Module 2 and is included in Easy As HGV’s Driver CPC Initial Qualification package:
- Revision is conducted online.
- The Case Study test is conducted at a DVSA Theory Test Centre and is multiple choice. It assesses your ability to apply your knowledge of highway code, health and safety, and industry best practice to real life scenarios.
- Your results are issued immediately after the test so you’ll know straightaway whether or not you’ve passed.
Module 4 – The Practical Test
The Practical Test is covered under Module 4 and is included in Easy As HGV’s Driver CPC Initial Qualification package:
- Training involves showing you the checks required to ensure the vehicle is safe to drive, as well as teaching you important health and safety skills, such as the use of common load restraints.
- The test requires you to complete a ‘show me, tell me’ walk round check of a stationary vehicle, explaining safety checks you’d carry out before starting your route, and health and safety features of the vehicle.
- An examiner observes your capability to conduct these checks correctly.
Terms & Conditions apply
” Until 2 weeks ago I didn’t know what this was or if I needed it. Easy As HGV explained it, told me what I needed and got me passed on both parts of my CPC. Thanks for making my CPC training so simple. I’ll be back for my C+E training soon! “